06 February 2009

That's My Girl?

Any of you who have known me for a while might believe I like to argue with authority. It's so true. There's just something about arbitrary rules that really drive me crazy. (sources like the government, school districts or indoor fast food restaurant play areas...) I have no problem when it comes to rules I understand are for my own good, and that come from a source with only my happiness at heart - in that case I usually listen, sometimes not at first, but, eventually I come around. (sources like parents, scriptures, or coaches) Enough about me...

Yesterday Rachel (10) asked if she could go roller skating with her friends. I said, Sure, I'll take you. You can go after school until about 7 pm, because on Friday nights, the teenagers will be hanging out there and I don't want you there with the "big kids". She agreed, if only on the pretense that they were always better skaters and she might be mowed over. She called her friend back to say she could go, and then I heard her on the phone saying, Oh, well, I can't do that. I'll see you at school tomorrow.

She got off the phone and I asked what happened. She said her friends weren't getting there until about 8pm. So, she couldn't go. Wow. No arguing, no whining, no begging or offering to clean the bathroom in exchange for exceptions. Just acceptance. Good girl, Rae. You must get this wonderful trait from your father. And tonight, when your friends are skating and you are home safe and sound with your family, we will play chess and make popcorn. I'm proud of you, lady.

3 screams from the fans...:

Rachel said...

Thanks mom oh and i would like that...

Anonymous said...

You make us very proud at times when you listen to us - know that some day there will be rewards for you that will unmeasureable for your obediance. Love you, Dad

Amy said...

She is definitely not like her mother...for sure!!!