16 February 2009

Chug, chug, chug ...

I was rolling along the highway today, all five kids in tow. We had just been to the $1 movie theatre, which is only 50 cents if you see the first movie of the day on Mondays. Today we had no school, so to honor President's day, I spent 50 cents per ticket and took the gang to see Bolt. Cute movie; I recommend it. I digress...


We had just seen a movie and were headed home when the car starts to sputter. I knew exactly what was happening, since I saw my empty gas light go on two days ago. Since that time I played the "how much gas do I really have" game and I was winning for a while. Not today. While we are sputtering to the exit ramp, I say to the ladies - "Okay, feel that shaking from the car? That's what it feels like before you run out of gas."

So we are off the highway, at an intersection, a busy one, of course, and the car will go no further. I say to the kids - "Okay, Rae and Sam, you get out and push." I get nothing but blank stares. "Okay", I say, "you steer and I'll push." More blank stares.

Charlotte says, "Just call Dad, Mom. He'll come fix it." (So cute.)

Rachel and Samantha then catch the spirit of adventure and suddenly jump out of the van and start to push. Rachel tells me later that she didn't realize it would be so easy - she thought vans were heavier!

Next, a strange man is at my window. He says, "You just steer; we're close." Rachel and Samantha are now literally running behind the van down the street and through the intersection, while about four men are pushing me to the gas station. A few minutes later, I am pumping gas and waving furiously to the men who were just pushing me and my still wonder-struck children to safety. Such is the kindness of strangers. Thank you, thank you!

As a post script, can I just add that I love living in a small town. As I am pumping gas, a friend from church (Elizabeth B.) drives right up to me and says, "Tina, do you always make your kids run behind the van?"

4 screams from the fans...:

Kim said...

Oh Tina, you make me laugh! I love that about you. So who was the friend who saw your kids running behind the van??? By the way I have not checked out your cards at the shop yet. I will soon. Love ya!

Chelsie said...

What cards? What?

This was so funny. I'm curious about the member as well!

Aren't I the nosy one today?

Cherstin said...

I know who it is!!! That is funny. If I saw that I would have said the same thing. Or I would liked to think I would have said that. Anyway, I love how people can be so helpful. Strangers we don't even know. It gives me tingles just thinking about it.

The Mechlings said...

that is HILARIOUS!!! I'm always so scared i'm going to push it too far and run out ... and my kids are way too little to push!! =)