31 August 2009

My Speed Bump

I have plenty to do all day. This castle, this heaven on earth, this safe harbor from the storm, this refuge for my family ... this home, doesn't keep itself clean, people. I now have four out of five kids in school and you would think that our house would be spotless 24/7. Nope. It still takes a lot of work to keep up my less-than-perfect idea of a clean house. Enough about me and my days, enter Jay. He is home with me and loves to shadow my every move. He slows me down and he keeps me from buzzing through my chores, I mean my responsibilities, quickly. He is my speed bump. This is a shot of Jay putting the clothes in the dryer. This job would not take me more than two minutes, but, with Jay "helping", it easily can take ten minutes. He examines the clothes, drops stuff, and holds me up in general. But look at him helping! What a sweetheart. What a big boy to be a part of it all. And what a great chance for me to show him all the love and patience I can muster. I need to remember Mosiah 4:15 - But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another. That's what I should be doing. That what my children do for me everyday. I need to teach them, not just rip through the days to-do list. Teach them to serve and to love, and, to love to serve.

3 screams from the fans...:

Chelsie said...

Ahhh, I tell myself this again every.single.day.

If only I could always remember it!

Cherstin said...

The quote I HATE to relate to:

The lazy mom is the one who does everything herself!

The truth hurts sometimes. ;)

a busy mom said...

Eliza quoted that exact scripture today in primary! How funny- it is an eye opener to remember that we are their teachers and even though we can get things done much faster (and better-ha) if they do it or help us do they feel good about themselves. You are a great mom and always have been very patient- I need to be more patient!
Sonia