29 July 2008

Turkey Cupcakes .....

This post is dedicated to my wonderful friend Emilee, who made it all possible ... This is a turkey cupcake. I found this picture in a magazine almost three years ago - it must have been before Thanksgiving '05. The idea is simple and fun. Great thing to do with the ladies, right? So, I tore it out and stuck it on the fridge where it has stayed ever since. Almost three years. Around our house it became a joke. If something was going to take a long time or it seemed like something would never happen, we would say, that'll happen right after we make turkey cupcakes. The clipping was this constant reminder of something I wanted to do, but, just never got around to making the time for.

So, I was talking with my friend Emilee about how our kids are growing so fast and her oldest will be starting kindergarten soon. She was saying how she wanted to make this a special summer, because in the fall her daughter will be off to school, and her opportunity to do all those fun mother-daughter things will have to put off. She wanted to take time to spend with her kids so she didn't have any regrets.

As we talked, my mind was wondering off to the fridge for turkey cupcakes. I told her how I had this clipping, it was easy, inexpensive and quick. I told her the ladies were excited about it at first, but, then it just became this example of how not to be a fun mom. She comiserated with me and we said, yeah, being a mom is the greatest, but, we can't do it all, we just have to do our best.

This past Sunday Emilee handed me a bag at church. In it were a cake mix, candy corns and icing. She said, "I was at the store and I saw candy corn and I thought of you and your ladies and the turkey cupcakes. Here, enjoy."

I am so grateful to have a wonderful friend who listens to me, supports me and also enjoys the turkey cupcakes with her family. Thank you Emilee!

hard at work...
yeah - turkey cupcakes for everyone!!!!

3 screams from the fans...:

Becca & Joel said...

Can I just say that I'm teary now after reading that! Em is so sweet!

Emilee said...

Yeah! Hurray for life falling into place. Its like President Hinkley always said, "Things will work out." You are such a great friend and mother Tina! You deserve the best and more and are an example to many. Looks like y'all had fun and now cupcakes can be your own family tradition. :)

Cindy Wells said...

That's so beautiful.