24 April 2008

Kindergarten, again ...


I registered Charlotte for kindergarten today. It struck me as I filled out all the forms that this time it might be different. When Rachel went to school I was heartbroken. She can't possibly be grown up enough to go to school, but, of course she managed just fine. Then one short school year later, I had to pack up Samantha and send her out the door, too. Why did they both abandon me? How dare they grow up so fast! Don't they need me? Now Rachel is finishing the fourth grade, Samantha is finishing the third grade and I am about to send Charlotte to kindergarten. She will also be just fine, like her sisters. But, unlike her older sisters, I will be glad to see her go. Not because I want her out of the house, or because I love her or need her less, but, because I have realized that they do grow up fast and they are ready to build on their foundation and become those wonderful people I have struggled for the first part of their young lives to mold them into. School will help them discover, explore, develop and expand. I hope I gave Charlotte the foundation she needs to suceed - I'm not finished with her yet. That's my job; molding little babies into determined little kindergarteners. Their job is to take off and fly. Kindergarten is looking like a wonderful adventure; she is ready to go. And I am ready to send her.

1 screams from the fans...:

Casey said...

I feel the same way about Maya. I am much more ok with her going, I think. We'll have to see when school starts. I might change my tune.