08 December 2009

D.A.R.E.

Samantha (fifth grade, 10 years old) completed the D.A.R.E. program. Here she is with two of her buds at the graduation ceremony.

The class was taught by a local police officer and covers the dangers and consequences of using alcohol, drugs and cigarettes. It also included such hands on activities as drunk goggles and a little taste of a jail cell.

They performed a song for the assembled parents that had this chorus:

D: don't do drugs
A: don't have an attitude
R: I will respect myself
E: I will educate me now....

The mayor of our little town was there, too, to talk to his future voters. He explained that it is not the school's responsibility to keep kids off of drugs. The school will support that proposition, but, it is up to the parents to set the example, follow through on consequesnces and police our kids. He told the parents to lead the way and teach the children to do the right thing.

Look at those smiling faces...ready to take on the world!

2 screams from the fans...:

Chelsie said...

I love the DARE program! I really believe that it was this program teaching me to make the decision early on that I would never take drugs, that actually made that happen! I am so grateful that there was such a straight forward program for me when I was such a young girl!

Rachel said...

I remenber that! It was only a year ago... much fun!