26 January 2009

Ten Minute Switch

In the ever constant battle of teaching my children to love work, respect property and generally be helpful, kind citizens....I have implemented yet another system of chores. We called it the 10-minute switch. It went something like this: First, we take a "tour" of the house. We go from room to room as a group and talk about what needs doing. Then, each child (me included!) chooses a room. For ten minutes, you clean up in that room. When the ten minute bell rings, you switch rooms and pick up where the last person left off. When a room is finished, the person who would have gone to that room joins someone else in another room, until all the rooms are done. Besides a few glitches, like sharing the vacuum and don't take out the trash until everyone is finished, it went pretty well. I think it helped that we were not tied to a room, so you always had that prospect of moving on to motivate you. Ten minute works well, too, since it is enough time to get into something without having too long to get distracted. We'll keep this system up until they get complacent, again, and be off to the next one. What do you do?

1 screams from the fans...:

Kim said...

Tina! What a good idea. We are boring around my house. They have to get their work done in the morning before anything fun happens for the day. Sometimes fun things don't happen till 1:00pm! I just bear the whining until it's done. I would like to try your idea, I will let you know how it works...